The Ingredients Consultancy are lucky to work closely with Hanamaruki, the second largest miso producer in the world, with the best miso on the market
Miso is a well known ingredient for its many uses:
Flavour enhancement, through its high level of glutamic acid (Umami)
Meat tenderisation, Contains enzymes which break down the long protein chains resulting in a much more tender product.
I have recently been experimenting with the use of miso in a number of applications, some including sweets / desserts and below is the recipe I came up with for quite possibly one the best fudges I have tried!
The use of miso in the fudge gives a salty flavour, but also a deep savoury / earthy note which compliments the chocolate wonderfully.
I also added the zest of one orange, this added a nice bit of citrus sweetness to the fudge which really highlighted the sweet and salty combination.
200g Double cream
340g Caster sugar
170g Liquid Glucose
200g Dark chocolate
25g Red miso powder
1 Orange zested
1) Bring the Cream, Sugar and Glucose to 120 degree, stirring regularly so not to catch on the bottom of the pan
2) Add in the cubed butter and bring back up to 120 degrees
3) Pour over the chocolate, orange zest and miso
4) Mix thoroughly and pour into a lined baking tray
5) Store flat in a refrigerator for 24 hours, slice and serve
6) For garnish, i have sprinkled some more miso on top of the cubed fudge. This gives the person eating that hit of miso from the first bite.
Want to find out what this wonderful ingredient can do for you? Get in touch !